July 15, 2024
We can simply distinguish by bite mark either snake bite is poisonous or non poisonous

We all are familiar with snakes. Snakes are the special creature: some are deadliest, some are scary and some are beautiful too. Snakes have a bit scary image to people but they have a important role in our ecosystem. There are more than 3000 species of snakes around the globe but only 20% (600) of them are venomous. Among them only 5-10% of snakes can make you dead. Snake bite other organism either for food or defense purpose. Not all the snake bites are venomous but we should take immediate medical action considering all bites venomous. We can simply distinguish snake bite is venomous or non venomous by observing following Characterstics:

Bite Mark:

  • Venomous snake bite often leaves two puncture holes or fang marks from where poison is injected.
  • Non Venomous snake bite has small puncture wounds arranged in an circular arc

Head Mark:

  • Venomous snake has a triangular or broad head
  • Non Venomous snake has a short and elongated head

Symptoms after Venomous snake bite:

  • Pain and swelling around the bite area
  • Nausea, vomiting or diarrhea
  • Difficulty in breathing or shortness of breath
  • Rapid heartbeat (or low blood pressure)
  • Weakness or dizziness
  • Redness, bruising, bleeding around the wound
  • Numbness or tingling around the face
  • Muscle weakness
  • Loss of consciousness (in severe cases)
  • Increase salivation or sweating

First Aid of Snake bite:

All the snake bite are not venomous but all the snake bite should be treated as potentially venomous:

  • Remove tight clothing, jwellery and watches before swelling starts
  • Keep the affeacted limbs immobilized
  • Clean the wound gently with soap and water if possible
  • Cover the wound with clean dressing
  • Keep the affeacted part below the heart level, this will help to slow the spreading of venom
  • Try to remain calm as possible, increased heart rate can spread the venom more quickly

Take a photograph of snake if possible. Identifying the species of snake can help with treatment of snake bite.

Do NOT do any of the following:

  • Do not cut the wound, it can worsen the condition even
  • Do not try to suck out venom with mouth, it can transfer harmfull bacteria to wound
  • Avoid applying ice to wound
  • Do not use a constricting band or rope above the bite to restrict blood flow, it can worsen the condition
  • Do not use alcohol or any painkiller
  • Do not use electric shock, there is no evidence of electric shock reducing the risk

What is the difference between Venomous snake and Poisonous snake ?

The word poisonous snake referring to venomous snake is technically incorrect. Word venomous refers to snake that will inject poison into our body if it bite us. Where word poisonous means we will die if we eat that snake. For example we will die if we eat wall lizard but, we will not die if it bite us. Thus wall lizard is poisonous but not venomous.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *